Monday 2 August 2021

Battle of Fort Despair 1758.

Last night,Paul,Graham,Brian and I had an interesting and unusual game,played out in the wilds of Canada,involving French,British,Rangers,Courer de Bois and Indians !!


Top photo shows the scenario,botom shows the table before any movement.Brian and I took command of the Regular French troops and Indians,whilst Paul and Graham commanded the relief column and fort troops plus some "friendlies"



My Indians begin their attack!-I was hoping to stop the column,giving Brian time to either storm the fort,or turn to face the British threat.

With a "whoop" and a "holler" my Indians gave one blast of muskets,then in with the tomahawk and knife-the British responded with a tremendous volley,then fought for their tiny lead lives!! The British "friendlies" attacked my left hand village,and by the rules of the night,I had to defend it-and so I did-however not very well!!!!!


Brian's troops(all the regulars!) seem not to have noticed the masses of red-coated figures bearing down on his position-surely he must have a "master plan" up his sleeve?????

My Indians,everywhere, are facing shit,shot and shell,and being forced to retire(it's good being retired!) some from the table-this is not looking good!-Brian's troops will be facing the same very soon,is he prepared?

Well,he has turned one regiment to face the British and moved two regiments against the "intact" fort walls!! What will he do next?(not even Brian knows the answer to that question!!!!)


After getting his a--e kicked at the fort walls,he is being assailed by the bulk of the British,whilst his other two regulars are admiring the view over the lake-it was all over-the Indians have fled,and Paul's out-flanking manoeuvre is being put into practice-the fort is still in British hands,so the game was declared for Paul and Graham.-another laugh and banter game!

Roll on next week!

As an up-date to my "Epic" project,I have completed 40 "regiments (20 per side) and I think they look good "en masse".......................




I am really enjoying painting these little beauties,and have adopted a fast-painting method,which I am calling "essential painting"-I am only painting the essential parts of the figures,which involves NO DETAIL whatsoever-and from three feet away,you can't tell-simple but effective!





















































5 comments:

  1. Yep a clear win for Team GB there. Can’t win em all. A nice sideshow for your 18th century collection.
    You’re powering through the ACW mini-minis. Can’t be long before you give them a play test. Remember when you picked up those small scale ancients for a bargain price at a show? ;-) you had a travel wargame set. This ACW Epic stuff is beyond a travel set already

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I agree with you ref. the painting style, most of the time we see our figures three feet or more distant, especially if they are routing!
    Too much detail muddied the water sometimes I feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI James,thanks for comment,and glad you agree-some of the figures on the market today are absolutely beautifully fine-detailed and beyond my capabilities to give them a decent paint job,so these "15mm" figures from Warlord Games suit me fine-keep well,
      johnc.

      Delete
  3. Certainly sounds like a hoot (not to mention whoop). Having your Indians go front on against the regs is not their preferred approach. Give 'em a flank or an ambush and they'll do the trick!
    I reckon you are dead right with your no detail approach with the 'epic' figures. The effect is perfect and on never notices 'in the heat of the action'. For mine, the approach is valid for many scales besides these too. I read an excellent post on David's 'Tales from GHQ' blog a little while ago about settling for a 'wargames' paint job as opposed to that for a military modeller or painting competition. I reckon he is dead right—he paints beautifully, mind (as do you).
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James,we seem to agree in all aspects-so we must be right(???)-glad to hear from you,keep away from this covid thingy!
      johnc

      Delete