Monday 23 August 2021

ACW epic Walord Games.

I now have 50 "regiments" per side painted up,so thought I would "roll out" the figures for the "boys" using my solo games rules-this we did last night.......................


Top photo shows the game set-up,with the Confederates on the left-Paul and Graham commanded the Union and I took on the roll of "Rebel" commander.I explained,very briefly, the rules(which are so simple!) and off we went!Bottom photo is a detail of a Union Brigade,5 regiments plus artillery and Brigadier figure.


We got stuck into it as soon as possible-red "pom-poms" denoting casualties! Paul decided to go for a manoeuvering game,and the simplicity of my rules became apparent-basically you can "elasticate" time and movement to produce a very realistic game-I was soon in trouble as I was attacked frontally by Graham and out-flanked by Paul-will I ever learn??


Two action shots-top is of Graham's frontal attack,bottom is Paul's double thrust against my left flank-thrilling stuff!

Paul is forcing my troops to retire(it's good being retired!)-the difference in numbers is very obvious!!


By some lucky dice throws from me,Graham's attack has crumbled,and he ordered a general retreat-I quickly follows up and the flank was mine-but with Paul winning the other flank,a draw was inevitable(well that's my take on the situation!)

As a test game this went very well,and both Graham and Paul liked the idea of Grand movement by Brigades and Divisions-I will get the other ten "regiments" painted this week,and will plan another game for next Sunday.I feel that the red "pom-poms" detract from the visual aspect of the game,so what to do?-change them to BLUE pom-poms-keep it simple stupid!!































 

6 comments:

  1. Great stuff, John. I think Paul had the right idea. The scale lends itself to a game with lots of manoeuvre. I look forward to seeing this continue to develop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,Paul will be in his element writing grand orders for divisions etc.I have another game planned for this weekend,but Paul is on "Hollies" and so is Brian-they will miss a cracker.
      johnc.

      Delete
  2. Looks great, certainly you can field but armies in this scsle, and the prices are affordable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James,good to hear from you again,the scale is great for me-I don't particularly get any deep satisfaction from painting figures,so with these little beauties I can get away with murder(ie just paint what I want to!!) cheers.
      johnc

      Delete
  3. Wow, is that a record for purchase to tabletop even for you?! So quick and they look marvellous. If your defence held, it sounds like you have the balance right in your 'so simple' rules. Excellent.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James,they do not bear close inspection,but from 3 feet away look great-simple rules rule in my book,thanks for comments.
      johnc

      Delete