Sunday 23 January 2022

New solo situations!

THE WIFE keeps asking why I am constantly carrying boxes upstairs to my new wargames room .

I suppose I could tell her that I am expanding my range of solo games,but,being a woman, she wouldn't understand!! So what is in the said boxes?

Well,Sailing ships and WW2 aircraft that's what-and I have had a few excellent games,whilst trying out some very simple rules....................



You just couldn't get simpler than this!! but they produced great games........


English and French fleets in top photo,bottom showing the turning circle being used.



Action!! and sunken ships(orange card markers)


Must brush up on my seamanship skills-too many sunken vessels!!!

Now to the WW2 aircraft.................




Brian and I staged this Participation game at the last show run by Tom and Dave at Stockton-it was a great success,so why change a winning formula(which is very similar to the sailing ships method!)



Corsairs and P40's in top photo c/w Carrier,and Zero's in bottom photo.



Start of game and action(smoke indicates plane is firing!)

Anti-aircraft fire from Carrier,and Zero taken lots of casualties,indicated by "smoke" streaming from tail!!


Top photo shows a Zero being shot up the "chuff"(technical flying term!) and bottom shows the end of the game-Americans won the day!These rules will not be to everyone's liking but for a fast and enjoyable afternoon/night they are ideal.



















































6 comments:

  1. These smaller games can be entertaining, btw what make are the sailing ships?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James,believe it or not these ships are actually pencil sharpeners,painted and a bit of thread added for rigging!!-very entertaining!cheers.
      johnc

      Delete
  2. I remember reading a Naval war games book about 45 years ago, in it the chap was using the 2 bob Airfix kits.The Revenge, Golden Hind and converting them.A type of Armada made game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James,we wargamers are enterprising souls-I never throw anything,I think might be useful away!!
      johnc

      Delete
    2. Me too! Just say pencil sharpened look good, and guessing quite weighty.

      Delete
    3. Aye,Aye-bought at a museum in Newcastle-wiped their stock out!!
      johnc

      Delete