Friday 25 August 2023

Smoking the Hornets’ Nest

Finally another run out for my French Indian Wars figures!



Whoop! Whoop!

I presented an amended version of Scenario Five from the Sharp Practice rules



I would be the defender with 5 groups of Indians and the hope that support would come to my aid. Rick would be the attacker and was allowed to build his force:

2 groups of Regulars

1 group of Grenadier

1 group of Rangers

2 groups of Light Infantry skirmishers

1 group of Indians

All to destroy a village of poor, defenceless natives who never did any harm to anyone. Innocent I tells ya!




The table is covered in light woods which doesn’t do a great deal to movement, but restricts visibility to Close range. It’s going to be bloody!



I put out a group of warriors to screen the village. Rick uses his Indians as a blunt instrument and wielding their tomahawks they bettered my boys in Fisticuffs. Bruised, bloodied and carrying significant Shock, my group are forced back almost to the objective (my main Deployment Point; the base with the redcoat getting a haircut).



I move groups to either flanks of Rick’s friendly Indians to stop them advancing into the village.

I also get 3 Command Cards and roll for new arrivals.  Please let it be Coureurs de Bois, please let it be Coureurs de Bois. I roll a 3, nothing arrives. Damn it!



British “Light Bobs” move swiftly to support the allied Indians whilst a British line picks its way through the woods. Overkill or what?!


I decide to pull back with the heavily Shocked group. They were the only thing between the British and the objective. What was I thinking?!


Rick takes on the guise of a cat. And I’m the mouse!

Once again he launches his Indians forward. Their British officer has sprained his ankle but is still game to throw the natives under his command forward. Not sure they’d be 100% friendly if they heard their officer’s “expendable” comment!

They don’t win this fight, but it has weakened my warriors.


The Light Infantry, instead of pouncing on the object, finish the job. They attack my still recovering group and break them (imagine lots of dead and dying in the foreground above). Their officer is knocked out, but recovers almost immediately.

I’ve not had 3 Command Cards again to throw for new arrivals… Cruel Fate!!! (Shakes fist at the sky)


The cat stops toying with the mouse… with his second group of Light Infantry, Rick captures the objective! Resounding British victory!

So a couple of mistakes on my part and the cards weren’t kind to me, but undeniably outplayed by Rick. Next time, grrrr…

Thanks for reading!

Chris

WWG in exile









No comments:

Post a Comment