Tuesday 4 February 2020

It's good being retired,part two.

I'm still retired,and if anything it's getting better!! This is part two of my "projects" from last week,and involves some compounds/buildings I bought at Carronade show last May.

I bought,at the bring and buy, three separate compounds/buildings,which I intended to use in any desert setting I could think of-Alexander through to WW2,and most certainly Colonial!
The buildings are fine,but too small to house many figures,so I decided to combine two of them to form a sort of Fort/Village........................

This is just one of the compounds,to show what I had to work with.I needed to cut off a strip of the base,and knock down(ie remove) a section of wall,to achieve what I wanted from each of the two I was working with.

Using a Stanley knife,and remarkable skill(with hardly any cuts or major transfusion needed) I have managed to "slice" the strips off the bases and remove the wall sections,resulting in the two,soon to be joined, compounds looking like the above!


These two photo's show the finished product-I had thought about joining the two permanently but it would present storage problems,so I have left them separate,but easily "pushed" together for gaming purposes.

By adding the third,complete,compound,I can have a small village or larger Fort.


If you put a building on a wargames table,some fool will occupy it!!-in this case colonial Egyptians,just to show how it can look.

Now on to Vapnartak(York show)-what can I say?-Bring and buy was moved to a much better place,with loads of space-well done to the lads! Footfall seemed very low compared to last year,catering was,as usual,up to a high standard,games tended to be an awful lot of WW2,traders seemed to be doing well,but I have decided not to attend again-up and down those bloody stairs does my knees in!!-but we had a good laugh,met some old friends(and Robbie!) and a good day out...........................


Top photo shows the long,long queue to get in!-bottom photo shows Graham,Dave and Paul,plus a bloke from "Peaky Blinders"(Chris!!) who met up with us to finalise arrangements for Falkirk!(they look cold because it was!!)


Top is general view of the downstairs section,bottom is the very busy cafe.
Roll on next Sunday-probably down at Dave's doing a WW2 game.



























































































6 comments:

  1. Lovely looking forrt John, but considering you brought your own picnic to York I cant see how yo know what the catering was like unless you mine-swept the tables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie,who was it that offered you a melted chocolate biscuit and a cup of coffee from his flask??
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. David-now you tell me!!!-if it has buttons and things to press,I'd be no good,probably end up on the roof!
      johnc

      Delete
  3. Great buy and refurb/improvements. And super to see you briefly at Vap. I have spoken with the organisers so that hopefully I'll be putting on a participation game at Vap 2021. See you soon, Chris :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,it's a pity we didn't have longer to talk-we'll make up for it at Falkirk,and glad you're back in the frame with Vap.
      johnc

      Delete