Monday 26 May 2014

Persians vs Greeks

Last night we had a game that it was a"privilege" to have taken part in.
The basis of the game was a Persian invasion of Greece,the defending Greeks being mainly Spartans.Brian and Paul were the invaders,whilst I was the erstwhile defender.

Paul and Brian had selected the troop types they wanted to be in their first wave of attackers,and the game began-don't they look "smug"??

This is my position,two hills and a river crossing,defended by Spartans,with a "forlorn hope" thrown out in front to contest the beach landings-what could go wrong??-Dave "popped in" for a couple of hours,then had to go,this was areal pity,as he was enjoying the spectacle,and he threw a couple of dice for me,just to help out.


My forlorn hope are advancing against the hordes of Persians disembarking on the "beach"-the boats were returned to the base line,and another wave of troops were ferried towards the mainland-this was going to be tough for both sides!!


My Hoplites are fully engaged here,but are in danger of being surrounded,my skirmishers are doing a bit of damage,but in the background the second wave of troops are coming-however the"forlorners"  have done what I wanted them to do,and have held the Persians up,and inflicted casualties on them-hurrah!!

Move number 6,and Brian's cavalry (which had been travelling overland) arrives on the board,it was immediately subjected to an ambush by light cavalry and infantry hidden in the woods......
Brian was not amused,as you can see!!!!!!


Look at that,"not amused,the world is against me,not fair!!" face-as it happens,I could only use the ambush troops once,and then had to retire back into the woods,but of course Brian was not to know that-double hurrah!!


My forlorners have been beaten,and both Brian and Paul are getting their troops sorted out,ready to assault my main positions,to see them manoeuvering at this stage was magnificent,to say the least-the "Immortals" can be seen arriving by galley,these,plus the mercenary Hoplites were to prove the game winners.


Brian's troops are just about in place and are getting ready to attack my right hand hill,his cavalry are moving towards my centre,where they would prove decisive on the very last move of the game!!

This shows Brian's troops actually pushing the Spartan defenders back,whilst his second line is forming up as supports,Paul's line is taking shape,ready to assault my centre and left hand hill.


I have been beaten by Brian,Paul is putting in a most ferocious attack on the other hill,and he is just about to launch his Hoplites and Immortals on my centre-oh hell"


Paul's superb timing of his attack,saw my troops hard pressed in all sectors,he drove my defenders from the hill,beat my central troops in every melee,and with Brian co-ordinating his cavalry attack on my cavalry,all was lost!!
This was an epic game played over 22 moves!! with everything involved,including a bit of "gloating" by Brian(he'll be sorry!!)-well done to Paul and Brian,for a well thought out attack,on what was a very difficult position to take.
We will be playing over the same terrain on Thursday night(with Dave being involved) but substituting Romans as attackers,against Britons defending-roll on Thursday.
As a final photo,Dave brought up his latest Hittite unit for us to see-A picture says a thousand words..........


























































No comments:

Post a Comment