Monday 24 May 2021

A Sudanese Sizzler.

Last night Paul,Graham and I had a "typical" colonial game based in the Sudan.Dave turned up but had an early start at the factory,so just watched and added appropriate comments!!! Brian is unwell at the moment so he didn't turn up-get well soon! 

This is the scenario and initial troop dispositions-I ended up as British/Egyptian commander,Paul was in charge of the Ansars and Graham commanded the Hadendowah(thousands of 'em!)

Egyptian Zareba and British square-will there be enough firepower to stop the Dervish hordes??


Paul's Ansars and Graham's Hadendowah-I'm sure we could sort this out in a nice friendly manner!

The onslaught begins-Hadendowah Camels against the 21st Lancers in top photo-lancers won(of course!) Ansars attacking the Zareba in bottom photo(after preliminary rifle fire)

Top photo shows the British infantry in all kinds of bother-I,foolishly, broke my square to give my troops more firepower,but the Hadendowah were too fast and a giant melee is taking place-bottom photo shows my Bengal Lancers helping out and hitting Graham's leading troops in the flank-this was a life-saver for the whole game!!

Two shots showing the desperate fighting taking place on the British flank-this was glorious stuff,with officers falling like nine-pins,regiments being wiped out,and the inevitable gatling gun jamming at a most critical time!!!-But what of the Egyptians? were they sipping champagne and munching on kebabs?...............................


No,no,no no!-despite taking horrendous casualties coming in,the Ansars broke into the zareba and slaughtered the Egyptians-possibly making kebabs of them!!!
In this photo I am slowly retiring(it's good being retired!) my line hoping to stop Graham with cavalry,artillery and what is left of my infantry-by this time the Hadendowah have "shot their bolt" and were a spent force-hurrah!

My line is intact now and the Hadendowah have given in-another hurrah!-My rear is still not 100% safe,but Paul's troops decided to loot the zareba instead of attacking me and suffering more casualties.

One final shot showing the captured zareba-the Egyptians actually did a fine job in defending it!
I do enjoy these colonial games,always fast and furious but damned good fun!We will be playing again next week,but at the moment don't know what.A piece of excellent news is that "Carronade" show up in Falkirk,should be going ahead on the 25th September,and we have been given a table-normality at last???
























































































































6 comments:

  1. Always a delight to see your colonial games. Especially as I can lift the super scenario ;-)
    You got a good dusting there John. Clearly any words of encouragement from Dave weren’t enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo Chris,love these games-hopefully we'll have a full turnout next week.I understand you're coming to Falkirk-great!
      johnc

      Delete
    2. Can’t wait!!! Be great to see you and the ‘boys’

      Delete
    3. Chris,I always smile when I use the term "boys" to describe our mob-I wonder what the combined age of us is?-Looking forward to the show,if Boris allows it to go ahead!!!!
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Hi have recently discovered your blog and it's brill.
    Old school lots of figures lots of laughs, it's a game at the end of the day.
    I check by most days, so be prepared for comments, you,'ve been warned! Laughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tootrue,glad you liked my blog,I suppose we are "ultra" old school,never having played commercial rules-we use house rules,which work,but rely on historical knowledgs and good old fashioned common sense-keep reading.
      johnc(william)

      Delete