Sunday 23 May 2021

Four-legged Scenery

 A short photo post. With a bit of East African action in mind, I’ve painted up some wildlife that have languished in a box for many, many years.

Out on the plains of Kenya.


I feel that a bunch of appropriate wildlife will add to the feel of any colonial game.



Zebras and Oryx. The zebras are possibly the most torturous figures I’ve ever painted!


Gnu or Wildebeest. I think that many of these models were bought from Honourable Lead Boiler Suit Co. These days similar wildlife is available from Wargames Foundry and Northstar. And you can find more than one pose!

Roarrrrrrr! Lions on the prowl.


A giraffe. This model was painted a few years back for some exotic gladiatorial combat! The Romans loved seeing the strange and unusual in the arena. I’ve rebased it and it can now relax and enjoy retirement in East Africa. Unless someone shoots it! One of the books I’m currently reading is Kenya Diary (1902-1906), Richard Meinertzhagen. You may recognise his name from his exploits in WW1. As well as the police/punitive actions he describes, there’s an awful lot of wildlife shot!

I already have elephant, rhino, hippo and ostrich.

Four Wargames Foundry African cattle to add to the 12 I already have. Operations against any misbehaving tribes tended to involve the confiscation of vast herds of cattle along with sheep and goats.


A croc, a black cat of some description and a gorilla, also of some description! The crocodile is unbased as it’s nice to have it placed at the water’s edge. I’m not sure of the manufacturer for the black cat and gorilla. I had undercoated the cat black clearly intending that it be a Puma. It may just be a very odd lion...!

The gorilla is more Carry On Up The Jungle than Gorillas In The Mist! :-P

I hope you’ve enjoyed this safari. 

Cheers

Chris



4 comments: